Friday, January 13, 2006

The First Post

Two and a half years ago I married my best friend, a man I met the first day of college in a small rural town in the midwest. Not long before that, I never would have dreamed I'd be married to a man who chose to be in the military. I didn't see myself leaving the safety of small-town life in the midwest. I never imagined I would find myself so in love with the sea that I needed proximity to it's pulsing waves to find a semblance of perspective, I never saw myself packing up time, and time, and time again, and starting a family with the backdrop of deployments and an abundance of family crisis. But here I am.

Since we married we've been through a whirlwind. He began his enlistment as a Sailor five months after we said our vows. Since then we've lived through a few separations, set up house in three different states, welcomed our baby girl into the world, grieved the loss of close family members, and learned to reinvent the definition of 'home' many times over.

In this blog, I want to tell you about the man I married, and the love we share. I want to give you a glimpse of a love that transcends the triumphs and trials of military family life. This isn't a place where you'll find political views smattered all over (and please don't do me the disservice of assuming I land on one side of the political fence or the other because of my current station in life). This isn't a place to sing the praises of patriotism, or to decry the evils of the conflicts we now find ourselves involved in.

This is a glimpse into the life of a Navy family... Hopefully a place to chronicle the many reasons the sacrifices we make are worth it to us.

What it boils down to is this: I love a man who has chosen to serve our country. That love coupled with the immense grace of God is enough to hold us together even when continents and oceans stand between us.

I want to tell you about our life. I want to tell you about our love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home